I have been feeling a little under the weather with a cold lately. I hate cold medicine and don’t like taking pills so I’m going the natural route.
- Taking lots a Vitamin C
- Drinking lots of water
- Eating extra raw veggies
- Taking Bioplasma, a combination of 12 Cell Salts
I am on the verge of getting better and don’t want to get sick again! I was pretty worn out after exams and lots of people at the college and some of my family were sick, so my body just couldn’t fight it off.
After Pilates this morning I wanted a little energy boost and some more vitamin C. A smoothie sounded good so I rummaged the fridge and threw this together. It is super fresh and tasty, perfect for a post/pre holiday dextox and fighting off a cold. It’s loaded with Vitamin C, has no added sugars, and you get lots of great nutrients from the fresh fruits.
I wasn’t measuring so these are estimates! Add as much or as little water as you want depending on how you like your smoothies, I like mine thick so I use a little water and frozen fruits!
- 1/2 of an Orange
- 1/4 c. Cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 Banana, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 c. Frozen Melon Cubes
- 1 tsp. Vitamin C Powder
- 1/2 tsp Stevia
- 1/2 c. Water
Another great way to get extra vitamin C are Emergen-C packets. I usually keep a few in my backpack and take one midday for a little energy and extra vitamins. There are 1000mg of vitamin C in each packet as well as B vitamins. I’ve been using the Super Orange and the Tropical flavors.
Another health-promoting habit is to drink lemon water in the morning. I have been reading a lot about how good this is for you lately! I can’t say that I have kept up with it every morning, but I’m getting better at it! I really do feel better (maybe it’s just in my head… =P) after drinking water right away in the morning, lemon-y or not.
10 Reasons Why You Should Drink Lemon Water in the Morning
from la Jolla mom
1. Boosts your immune system: Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds. They’re high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure.
2. Balances pH: Drink lemon water everyday and you’ll reduce your body’s overall acidity. Lemon is one of the most alkaline foods around. (Lemon itself is not alkaline, it is quite acidic, but the way it works with your body helps reduce acidity *See comments)
3. Helps with weight loss: Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. It also has been shown that people who maintain a more alkaline diet (see #2) lose weight faster.
4. Aids digestion: Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials. It encourages the liver to produce bile which is an acid that required for digestion. Efficient digestion reduces heartburn and constipation.
5. Is a diuretic: Lemons increase the rate of urination in the body, which helps purify it. Toxins are, therefore, released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy.
6. Clears skin: The vitamin C component helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Lemon water purges toxins from the blood which helps keep skin clear as well. It can actually be applied directly to scars to help reduce their appearance.
7. Freshens breath: Not only this, but it can help relieve tooth pain and gingivitis. The citric acid can erode tooth enamel, so you should monitor this. I admit, I’m slightly worried about it.
8. Relieves respiratory problems: Warm lemon water helps get rid of chest infections and halt those pesky coughs. It’s thought to be helpful to people with asthma and allergies too.
9. Keeps you zen: Vitamin C is one of the first things depleted when you subject your mind and body to stress. As mentioned previously, lemons are chock full of vitamin C.
10. Helps kick the coffee habit: After I have a glass of hot lemon water, I actually don’t crave coffee in the morning. This is weird, I can’t explain it, but I’ll take it.
What is your cure for a cold? Do you have any natural remedies that work for you?